Before leaving the house, I remembered that I bought ground turkey a few days ago, so I made sure to thaw them for dinner tonight. I am trying to diversify my proteins and add something different in my meal repertoire. I try to eat lots of protein because I like to keep my iron levels up. Protein also fills me up. I know it's good for post-workouts, but that's not my area of expertise, so I won't even go there!
I see people making these turkey/chicken meat balls all the time in different ways, but I like to prepare them with a fresh asian twist.
I made 2 packs of ground turkey because I find it less filling than beef. I am still learning to use ground poultry and noticed that it's a lot runnier and needs a lot less seasoning (like salt) than beef.
Asian Poultry Balls (we call them "chicken bo-bo balls" at our house!):
- 2 packs of ground turkey
- 2 eggs (for binding and extra protein)
- 4 scallions chopped
- bunch of chopped cilantro
- 1 inch grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons of garlic chilly sauce
- 1 tablespoon of soya sauce
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- sprinkle of sesame seeds
- 2 squirts of Worcestershire
- 1/3 cup of wheat germ mixed with bran instead of breadcrumbs
- Salt, pepper
- 1 cubed mango
- 1 diced tomato
- half a jalapeño chopped up in small cubes
- half an onion chopped finely
- a splash of red wine vinegar
- chopped cilantro (I didn't have any left)
|Place all the ingredients in a bowl, and get your hands dirty! (or use a spoon)|
|Added the honey and sesame after I mixed it… got creative on the way :)|
|Placed little balled on a baking sheet. Baked for 20 minutes at 375C|
|Made a fresh mango salsa to serve with the meat balls.|
|Steamed broccoli to finish it off!|
What did you have for dinner tonight? Please leave your comments below, I'd love to hear from you.