Are you looking for a funny and useful mom blog?

Good, you came to the right place!Hi, my name is Chantal Sarkisian and I am a new mom who had a sweet baby boy named Victor in Feb 2013. Join me on this blog to follow my new mommy journey while I am on my maternity leave. I'll ramble quickly about all the random thoughts that go through my head when I am feeding in the middle of the night, or trying to put my son to sleep. I'll also blog about my favourite things, give you helpful tools, and explore activities to do (mostly in the Ottawa region) with kids and maybe some product reviews too! Thanks for reading!

Monday, January 27, 2014

Off Road Cooking: asian turkey balls

Before leaving the house, I remembered that I bought ground turkey a few days ago, so I made sure to thaw them for dinner tonight. I am trying to diversify my proteins and add something different in my meal repertoire. I try to eat lots of protein because I like to keep my iron levels up. Protein also fills me up. I know it's good for post-workouts, but that's not my area of expertise, so I won't even go there! 

I see people making these turkey/chicken meat balls all the time in different ways, but I like to prepare them with a fresh asian twist.

I made 2 packs of ground turkey because I find it less filling than beef. I am still learning to use ground poultry and noticed that it's a lot runnier and needs a lot less seasoning (like salt) than beef.

Ingredients:

Asian Poultry Balls (we call them "chicken bo-bo balls" at our house!):
  • 2 packs of ground turkey
  • 2 eggs (for binding and extra protein)
  • 4 scallions chopped
  • bunch of chopped cilantro
  • 1 inch grated fresh ginger
  • 2 tablespoons of garlic chilly sauce
  • 1 tablespoon of soya sauce
  • 1 tablespoon of honey
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  • sprinkle of sesame seeds
  • 2 squirts of Worcestershire
  • 1/3 cup of wheat germ mixed with bran instead of breadcrumbs
  • Salt, pepper
Mango salsa:
  • 1 cubed mango
  • 1 diced tomato
  • half a jalapeño chopped up in small cubes
  • half an onion chopped finely
  • a splash of red wine vinegar
  • chopped cilantro (I didn't have any left)

Place all the ingredients in a bowl, and get your hands dirty! (or use a spoon)
Added the honey and sesame after I mixed it… got creative on the way :)

Placed little balled on a baking sheet. Baked for 20 minutes at 375C

Made a fresh mango salsa to serve with the meat balls.
Steamed broccoli to finish it off!
Victor really liked his dinner tonight. He particularly liked holding the broccoli and eating the stem. The salsa was really nice with the turkey balls, it added a nice fresh component to the meal.

What did you have for dinner tonight? Please leave your comments below, I'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment